Tuesday, March 17, 2009

techniques between techniques

Rolled with DS in the afternoon session. We went slow and he was being nice;) We mainly drilled open guard work where I was working on the “ab wheel” concept of never giving him a steady platform to pin and pass with. My legs getting pinned and passed is definitely the weakest part of my game and this was the beginning of some answers.

Today (3/17) went over some of the ideas from yesterday with my instructor. He showed me some similar ideas that were more based on the idea that they can’t pin down both legs at once and pass so you can always bend one or circle it around and realign your hips with theirs.

In addition to this he showed me that it’s important to find the 90 degree angle with my close arm on his shoulder or whatever is there. The back arm should be working on breaking his grip or pulling his elbow out.

The techniques I’d been working on I think still have some effectiveness but he pointed out that they also involve being quicker than the other guy rather than beating him by structure and alignment.

Seeing that little things like Americanas from the bottom are a great distraction and possibly even a sweep. It seems like the key is to just know when to hold em and when to fold em on that as if you hold too long, he can counter with a better submission, but the initial submission attempt from the bottom of side mount etc. does get them to react.

My instructor also showed me how positioning my head next to theirs on the side that they want to go prevents them from being able to complete the pass and gives me a chance to attack.

I feel like these little details are going to help me stay ahead of the game and give me the confidence to constantly dictate the pace and attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment