Wednesday, March 11, 2009

3/10/09 - class thoughts

Taught class and did some ideas and brainstorming on dealing with the x-pass. J, one of the really good blue belts I know had a great tactic he showed me where he lifts his butt up to get hip mobility even if they’re pinning the legs. This worked really well to change my hip angle or just to push myself back. M also had some really cool distractions and innovations that turned my mind back into the mode of reacting first and attacking first.

In addition, I’m working on the time of moving my legs away from them right when they’re putting they’re full weight to pin the legs. It’s a very similar feel and timing to a regular arm drag and make the guy on top feel like he’s getting to the hard part of an “ab wheel” exercise.

I’m going to need to work on this over and over but I think just getting that initial jump on the other guy can lead to arm dragging them, popping out into a front head lock or going to inverted guard.

Speaking of which, I’m beginning to think inverted guard is doing me more harm than good. No matter how much posture work I’m doing my neck constantly feels jacked and my mid back is so tight my chiropractor can’t even adjust it now. Thinking down the road it may be time to let this go the way of rubber guard and other things that my body just isn’t compatible with.

I think the more I drill sensitivity things like the x pass disruption and the more I focus on aligning my body by using the timing that sensitivity will develop, the better. I was never very fast or very strong and the flexibility I have is starting to hurt me.

I think another piece of the puzzle is it’s time to bear down and gain some weight. I’m pretty much outweighed by 80% of my training partners and the wear and tear is starting to get to me. I’ve hired the secret weapon at our school to change that though ;)

1 comment:

  1. "Speaking of which, I’m beginning to think inverted guard is doing me more harm than good. No matter how much posture work I’m doing my neck constantly feels jacked and my mid back is so tight my chiropractor can’t even adjust it now. Thinking down the road it may be time to let this go the way of rubber guard and other things that my body just isn’t compatible with."

    You wise. And humble. I wish I had that. My tendency is to muscle through crap and pay the price. As I get older, the price seems to get higher.

    And teaching class?!?!? u rk

    ReplyDelete