Monday, March 9, 2009

3/9/09 jiu jitsu notes - doubling down

Doubled down today. Drilled and rolled with E tonight who is super tough and has some attacks I’m not used to. Realize that I need to really work on my guard if they’re moving to my left because most people move to my right. Again making the same mistake of not starting an initial attack and having to react.

Could actually feel the MBF sidemount escape’s potential but I’m going to need to add it to my list of drills. There was a bump that I noticed which could be capitalized on but I wasn’t basing out with my arm properly and I just haven’t practiced it enough yet.

Could not keep up the pace either. Need to find ways to slow down the game a little. Inverted guard was ineffective due to me not getting wrist handles, leg control and bicep control. The angle he used to press my feet down was different than I’m used to as well.

Also he passed on my left side, which I’m not used to. I supposedly know the correct sequence to do but really never drill it, so that also needs to be added to my list as well.

Overall disappointed in my ability to adapt. Some of the sequences I have ingrained in me worked well but made me realize how many more I need to drill as moments where I’m mentally slow, the creativity that’s there when I’m feeling quick, like Saturday are replaced by cloudiness.

Was having a conversation with someone today about how I do better when I don’t think. Sometimes that seems to work and sometimes I catch myself thinking about how I’m not thinking or thinking that I don’t know what to think.

The point is the sequences are automatic and if more of the game becomes automatic then my headspace doesn’t matter as much. I’ve got a lot of shit to drill.

No comments:

Post a Comment