Tuesday, March 3, 2009

more 3/3/09 jiu jitsu notes

Had to double down today as I wanted to drill just pulling guard as basic as that may sound. I just like the idea of becoming proactive in my attack rather than reacting and trying to get ahead of the game. This is a good first move for me to make that immediately puts them on the defensive. Many times there hands will hit the mat and I can clamp down for Williams guard or rubber guard stuff right away.

Passing felt a little better tonight as well. Starting to utilize grabbing the skirt to increase the torque when I push my shoulder into their chin. Helps the pass even when I feel loose on the hips.

Need to keep working on the simple armlock sequence but to me , just getting the guard pull down a few times was a good first step.

Also was able to do a move that my instructor did on me today where I go for one armlock and as they get their elbow to the ground I jam my hips in to get the triangle on the other side.

Things done well
1) Getting to closed guard and starting the attack
2) Chin pressure on the pass.
3) Rear naked squeeze.

Things to work on
1) Need to drill armlock from guard sequence more.
2) Once I get that better, throw in wrist control to triangles
3) Have one day a week of only drilling and add 10 minutes after each sparring session.
4) Passing still has good moments in a base, but times where I find myself watching their attack rather than moving forward with my pass. Want them to be defending the pass the whole time
5) Still need to remember my defense is my offense at this point. May make me uncomfortable and may need to push my conditioning more, but this is the only way for me to progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment