Wednesday, March 4, 2009

3/4/09 jiu jitsu training notes

3/4/09
Had a good training session tonight. Wanted to really work my passing and top game pressure but still take the submissions when they’re there. Rolled with RS and wanted to make sure I stayed on top and prevented x-guard attacks and Zapruder sweeps. So I kept my hips low and really tried to use shoulder pressure on his chin. Grabbing the skirt whenever possible to increase this as much as I can. This seems to make it easier to whip legs out. Also I’m working on being very conscious about not accepting the sweep. This is a bad habit I got in a while back since I wanted to work on my guard. I took every sweep as a gift to continue doing that, which is a big mistake. Pace felt pretty good but I was definitely tired at the end.

Also rolled with JC. Again wanted to keep that chin pressure going. Found it worked fairly well on the bottom as well to prevent the pass. I sometimes worry about pushing someone’s chin as it’s not the nicest thing to do, but it’s very effective in limiting the directions they want to go. Got to work a little inverted and saw some triangle opportunities but I wasn’t able to capitalize as well as I’d have like to. Felt very tired at the end and his pressure on side mount made me want to quit.

Almost got caught in a shin across the stomach arm lock from the bottom but was able to bump his “shin” knee with my knee to loosen it up.

Things done well

1) Top pressure. I still don’t feel like passes are flowing together as well as they should but limiting their upper body, especially head, movement is allowing me to get around the legs easier.
2) Inverted guard feels like it’s starting to make a comeback. Was able to get to it as I was being passed from a tornado roll which I’ve seen before and probably done but usually at that point I’d feel like I was passed so nice to still feel in the game.
3) Pushing the pace. I felt like I got the first move off and was able to dictate the pace

Things to work on
1) Keeping that pace without forcing moves and positions. For the most part things felt good but I did feel like I forced a few things.
2) Facing the reality that pushing the pace will make me tired. I may need to continue to work on my conditioning but it really may just me a matter of rolling with that pace and mindset more importantly that I need to get used to.
3) Drilling. I’m going to write about this in the next paragraph.

I had a long talk with my instructor yesterday and he mentioned that some of my finishes and triangles looked pretty good a few months ago. At first my inner George Costanza kicked in and I kept feeling like “I peaked. It’s all downhill from now!” And I kept scratching my head all day hoping that wasn’t true but wondering if it was.

But then I remembered what I was doing a few months ago. I was drilling reps of inverted triangles and just basic triangle from the guard when I got wrist control. And I saw a direct correlation to the number of triangles I’d get from both positions. I wasn’t even looking for them; the opportunities just seemed to appear.

So now it’s time to start drilling those two things along with pulling guard and my armlock sequence. I’ll do a minimum of 10 of each class each day I train and pick another day where I just do the drills rather than roll. I’d like to see where these moves are when I’ve logged 500 reps of each.

No comments:

Post a Comment