Monday, March 9, 2009

3/9/09 jiu jitsu notes - drills

Today was just drilling and the first day that I’ll count the rep totals.

First up was the wrist control to triangle from the closed guard. I learned this a long time ago and having watched a lot of competition footage lately of Ryan Hall and some other triangle masters, this still seems to be one of the most effective and basic setups there is. As I mentioned before, when I drill this move, it seems to just start happening when I spar. And when I stopped drilling it, it was as if the opportunity for the move disappeared as well. Strange

Next up was inverted guard to triangle setup. I’m working on springing my hips up to the sky. I’m finding the visual image of reaching out and snatching their head down works best for me. I did 10 on each side.

I also worked a few of these without using grips so no foot on the bicep or anything. The advantage to doing it this way is you can actually spring from further out. The disadvantage is it’s a little harder to nail down the timing and I’m a little worried I’m going to accidentally kick people in the face!

Finally I’m working on entering into inverted guard from the x pass. This particular pass has always given me trouble as I’m still fighting for position when it’s too late. Once the legs are pinned down, it’s damn near impossible to pull into the direction of their push.

But what I’m finding is that if I straighten my legs and rotate in the direction of their push it almost “ab wheels” their arms. From here I can pop my hips out and go to a front headlock. Or I can continue the rotation and go to inverted guard.

So total rep count so far:
Wrist control triangle – 10
Inverted triangle with grips – 10
Inverted without grips – 5
X pass counter to inverted – 10

I’m really curious to see how the fluidity and timing feels in sparring when I’m up to 200 reps or so. As always I should have done this a long time ago but hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment