Tuesday, April 7, 2009

more tweaking

Rolled with JC today. He’s always tough and is always working on new things. Today he was doing a lot of sitting up guard grabbing a single. I worked a few guillotines for control, but forgot about driving my knee into his sternum the way Ethan did long ago. That’s a really good control point and it seems to work almost like knee on stomach from the side except it’s on top. But I remembered all of that afterwards so I kept getting swept ;)

I’m noticing that the “bike” technique seems to work even if they hug the legs. It’s almost like someone trying not to slide down a cliff and running with their butt on the ground. For so long I used to try to get both legs out at once but this doesn’t really make sense to me now. If my legs were stuck in the mud would I try to run out or jump out with both?

Even if I don’t get the legs out at once I just keeping peddling the bike and it seems very difficult for the person to hold. I’m almost worried my knee is going to smack them in the chin.

Still need more tweaking on the sitting up guard. Definitely like having the down leg for them to push on as I can shift my hips and start to work the arm drag. But realized today once I get the drag I need to shift my hips again and work the hook sweep assuming my hooks are still in and with everything being this close and controlled they usually are. Otherwise, I’m running into the same problem I did last week where I have no structure behind me and now am using strength to hold or advance the position which tires me out quickly.

Starting to see that knee on stomach could become a real weapon for me. Cupping the elbow and switching to elbow on stomach is a good back and forth as well. This may start really baiting them into getting their arms across their body

Again I need to search for ways to continue the concept of using position to limit their options and make them want to move. Knee on stomach, especially up to their sternum seems like a good option on top but the should be options on position from every position to make that scenario happen. I haven’t figured them out in as much depth yet but I think the principle is sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment