Monday, August 24, 2009

Knee on stomach from the bottom?

Worked with TO and MB today and continued to explore this idea of structure. My real mentality right now is preventing the pass while putting up uncomfortable barriers that cause my opponent to have to adjust with a limited number of options. I’m going to start flow charting out what I think these options would be and how I could beat them to the punch on this.

Also thinking about how I can integrate the “93” guard (shin on bicep half guard) and how I could get to it from half guard. One thing I’m taking from Friday’s session with JS is not “getting passed” is not enough. Being crushed in half guard for 10 minutes at a time is not an acceptable solution. Will work on ways of getting the far half guard with knee controlling hip then transitioning to foot on hip/shin on bicep.

In a way this makes me think of the knee on stomach work I’ve been doing lately. Except now I want to have the same control, attacks and discomfort coming from the bottom rather than the top.

It seems to have the same effect as it makes my opponent move and as long as I can figure out what I’ll do when they move, it may have the same positive results.

1 comment:

  1. This concept of structure seems interesting.
    When I think about the physics of something like knee on stomach, it seems like the reason it is effective is that you have the floor underneath your opponent, and you can drive your opponent into it, either with explicit force, or simply your body weight. Applying this concept from the bottom, there is nothing to push against unless you artificially create that by holding them and/or pulling them in. Wouldn't that result in a situation where you could over-exert (e.g. like holding a choke that is not properly sunk for a choke)? Or does the concept rely on the top game opponent's own weight to cause the discomfort?
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but perhaps I need to have you demonstrate this on me.

    ReplyDelete